The Judging Practice Day (January 29, February 5, or February 6) will comprise two portions as outlined below.
I. Remote Judging and Feedback:
- Remote Judging Interview Sessions will take place between 8:00 am and 1:00 pm on-line via web conferencing
- The Judging Sessions will comprise 30 minutes:
- 10 minutes – Traditional team Judge interview (up to 5 minutes team presentation and Q & A with Judges). Teams are encouraged to fill in the Pre-Assessment portion of the Team Judging Self-Reflection Sheet before the Judging Session starts.
- 10 minutes – Team fills out the remainder of the Team Judging Self-Reflection Sheet and discusses interview without Judges present
- 10 minutes – Judges return and provide team feedback. Teams are encouraged to share with the Judges a summary of their Team Judging Self-Reflection and identified areas of improvement
- For teams previously registered for one of these events: the Event Host will communicate with you directly via email to confirm your participation
- For teams not currently registered in one of these events: I will communicate with you directly to determine your interest in participating and share additional event registration details
- All teams that participate will receive additional instructions from their Event Host, such as:
- Process and deadline to upload their Engineering Portfolio and the Control Award submission form
- Judging Schedule
- Web conferencing link and access information
- Other key information
II. Remote Match Play:
- Teams are asked to review Game Manual Pt. 2 – Remote Events for setup and match play instructions as they differ from Traditional Match Play
- Teams that have the field elements to construct a Remote field as outlined in Game Manual Pt. 2 – Remote Events will play their matches at their home-base location
- For teams that Do Not have a Remote field setup, the Event School will be open to host team Remote Match Play on the event Remote Judging Day (available times will be scheduled so as to not conflict with Judging times)
- The Event Host will communicate with all teams registered for their event to determine if Remote Match Play is needed, and schedule teams accordingly
- The Event Host will provide all teams coming to their school for Remote Match Play specific instructions including:
- Schedule with their allotted match play time
- Venue specific instructions, e.g., COVID precautions
- Scoring Information e.g., paper forms will be available for teams
- Teams will have one (1) week for score entry. For example, for the 1/29 event the scoring system will be open from 5:00 pm Saturday 1/22 to 5:00 pm Saturday 1/29 to submit scores.
Once the event is finalized and submitted to FIRST, teams will be able to see their completed Judge’s Feedback form and event scores.
- Teams participating in these events must participate in the Remote Judging to avoid removal (disqualification) from the event
- Teams must have two (2) Youth Protection Policy screened mentors in the FIRST system to participate
- Mentors must ensure all youth on their team have submitted a properly executed FIRST Consent and Release Form
- Teams participating in school-based Remote Match Play must bring their Team Roster with them to submit at Check-In
Although optional, we urge all teams take the opportunity to participate in one of these events as they are highly valuable for your students and will help them be better prepared for the in-person Qualifier events.
Many thanks, and as always, please let me know if you have any questions.